Monday, September 1, 2014

Review: Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass #2) by Sarah J. Maas

I can't talk about this book without having spoilers therefore be warned! This review is full of spoilers!

*Review contains spoilers and spoilers from the previous books of the series.

Crown of Midnight cover
Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass #2)
by Sarah J. Maas
August 27, 2013
420 pages


Goodreads Summary:
"A line that should never be crossed is about to be breached.

It puts this entire castle in jeopardy—and the life of your friend."


From the throne of glass rules a king with a fist of iron and a soul black as pitch. Assassin Celaena Sardothien won a brutal contest to become his Champion. Yet Celaena is far from loyal to the crown. She hides her secret vigilantly; she knows that the man she serves is bent on evil.

Keeping up the deadly charade becomes increasingly difficult when Celaena realizes she is not the only one seeking justice. As she tries to untangle the mysteries buried deep within the glass castle, her closest relationships suffer. It seems no one is above questioning her allegiances—not the Crown Prince Dorian; not Chaol, the Captain of the Guard; not even her best friend, Nehemia, a foreign princess with a rebel heart.

Then one terrible night, the secrets they have all been keeping lead to an unspeakable tragedy. As Celaena's world shatters, she will be forced to give up the very thing most precious to her and decide once and for all where her true loyalties lie...and whom she is ultimately willing to fight for.



Review

This book came with so many different feelings. My emotions are just all jumbled up after finishing it. I decided to write this review based on all feelings and emotions I felt while reading it. Everything was just EPIC!

Starting off with Celaena's friendship with Nehemia. So heartwarming to see the two of them bond and become almost like sisters. Celaena is just an ordinary girl, not Adarlan's greatest assassin, when she's with the Princess.
 

I was frustrated at Chaol for trying to ignore his growing affection for Celaena! I hated but also understood his conflict at choosing between his loyalty to a monster King and his feelings for her, an assassin aka the King's Champion.
 

Naturally, I felt simply joyous and maybe just a little bit of overwhelming happiness when Celaena and Chaol finally got together!! *swoons Celaena and Chaol inside a broom closet. Enough said! *wink

At the same time, I was confused to know that Dorian has magic. His father killed off every trace of magic in the kingdom because he loathed it so how is it possible that his own son has any magical abilities? I'm so curious to find out!!

In addition to my curiosity, I also feared for Dorian's safety.
Fear was definitely a constant emotion in this book. I feared for everyone's well-being because they were surrounded by evilness. I especially feared for Celaena after finding out she didn't kill any of the King's targets.

I was mad when Chaol didn't tell Celaena about the death threats on Nehemia's life. Even though he kept justifying his reason for not telling her, I knew it would backfire on him which totally happened. I told you so.

I had very little reaction at finding out Nehemia was dead because I was too shocked. She died in such a brutal way. I could hardly process the fact probably because I didn't want to believe it. I immediately realized the impact her death would have on Celaena. Still, I was shocked again when she attacked Chaol. I don't really think it was entirely his fault considering he was kidnapped and all.

I grieved with Celaena at the lost of her best friend/sister. Just so so so sad.


I felt extremely satisfied when Celaena found Nehemia's killer. The way she "handled" Grave couldn't have been more perfect. He got exactly what he deserved, a taste of his own menace. I felt even more smug when she barged into the King's meeting and showed everyone (with Grave's head) exactly what she was capable of being driven by anger and hatred.

Archer, whose betrayal I didn't see coming, made me very angry. He seemed so sincere with everything he told Celaena. I didn't think he'd be capable of having Nehemia assassinated. I'm so glad Celaena didn't let him get away with it.

Last by not least, I'm filled with excitement!!! Ahhhhh, Celaena's the rightful heir!!! What an explosive ending!! I was blown away even though I suspected it. I absolutely loved the explanation about why she always ducks her eyes away from the King. I can't imagine what Chaol must be feeling being dropped this sudden bombshell. Even though he sacrificed his "career" for her, would he still choose to protect her after discovering this big secret? I hope he doesn't let Celaena and me down. Afterall, he is the only one she confided in and it's always been him <3.

I do have a few questions after finishing this book. Celaena's Fae ancestry somewhat confused me. I was going back and forth between the pages where Chaol was figuring out her hints. Is she full Fae or half? Does it matter? Also, what was that creature under the library? I'm sure it was an experiment of some kind but for what? I can't wait to find out.

Hopefully I didn't forget anything important cause ahhh every part of this book was so perfect! I cannot wait to get my hands on Heir of Fire!


5 Cats

4 comments:

  1. Wasn't this fabulous? Even better than the first and especially considering this is a second book, that is saying something because as we all know, those are usually not so wonderful. The whole series really is fabulous and it just seems to be getting better and better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book was so amazing! I agree with you this book puts you on such an epic rollercoaster of emotions. I was shocked with I read Dorian has magic I cant wait to see how that plays out in the next book. I cried like a baby when Nehemia died I couldn't get over it. THE ENDING IS WHAT GOT ME THOUGH! I was not expecting that at all! Ugh I could talk about this book for ages so I am just going to stop while I can lol. Great review! We don't have to wait to long for the next book =)
    Bloglovin follower
    http://bookstothetea.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and reading my posts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...