Monday, February 23, 2015

Review: Landline by Rainbow Rowell


Landline by Rainbow Rowell
Landline
by Rainbow Rowell
July 8, 2014
310 pages


Goodreads Summary:
Georgie McCool knows her marriage is in trouble;it has been in trouble for a long time. She still loves her husband, Neal, and Neal still loves her, deeply — but that almost seems beside the point now.

Maybe that was always beside the point.

Two days before they’re supposed to visit Neal’s family in Omaha for Christmas, Georgie tells Neal that she can’t go. She’s a TV writer, and something’s come up on her show; she has to stay in Los Angeles. She knows that Neal will be upset with her — Neal is always a little upset with Georgie — but she doesn't expect him to pack up the kids and go home without her.

When her husband and the kids leave for the airport, Georgie wonders if she’s finally done it. If she’s ruined everything.

That night, Georgie discovers a way to communicate with Neal in the past. It’s not time travel, not exactly, but she feels like she’s been given an opportunity to fix her marriage before it starts . . .

Is that what she’s supposed to do?

Or would Georgie and Neal be better off if their marriage never happened?



Review

So I really enjoyed Landline. It was a different read than my usual cup of tea but it was great! In all honesty I was prepared for some boring parts but there were none. I found myself wholly invested in the storyline and eager to see it how it will all work out.

Georgie's marriage is hanging in the balance when she decides to forgo spending Christmas with her husband Neal and their two daughters to work on a deal with her BFF, Seth, that could make their dream come true (sorry for the mouthful). When she loses contact with Neal, which never happens, she begins to rethink all that's happened between them since they met. As she recounted every precious memory, we got to see just how far they've come in their relationship. Georgie asked herself all sorts of questions. It was basically non-stop however, I didn't find her in the least bit annoying. I felt it was all very legit. I even found some of it relatable. Her line of thoughts weren't pointless but held true and valid concerns.

I love the idea of the phone. Georgie called it the "magic fucking phone". I should probably have felt more sympathetic because she thought she was losing her mind but I couldn't help and laugh every time she called it that. That ordinary old phone enabled her to see her life more clearly than anything before. I was cheering Georgie on when she pulled that crazy stunt at the end. You go girl~

One of my favourite thing about Landline is that it's full of dialogues. I added in my own "awwws", "ohhhs" and "ahhhs" ;) There were mega hilarious moments like when Seth dished out The Hobbits references as insults. They were mean yet again, you cannot help but silently appreciate the hilarity of it. My absolute number one favourite line is when Neal said "I love you more than I hate everything else" to Georgie (p.71). So awkwardly sweet~~ It resonated so much with me I had to share it with my fiancé. We even started analyzing it haha!

The Before gave us an answer to our/Georgie's suspicions and the After made my heart swell with warmth. I found myself really loving everything to Landline. Rainbow Rowell really knows how to make you feel!

4.5 Cats

6 comments:

  1. So many people loved this read, I really should make time for it!
    Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really quick read so I hope you get around to it :D

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you loved this one. It's not my favorite Rainbow Rowell but it is incredibly well-written and and entertaining. And I seriously love that quote too.
    Cassi @ My Thoughts Literally

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally right?!? I really enjoyed this one and that quote just hits me hard!

      Delete
  3. I'm really happy to hear you loved this one! I still need to find the moment and mood to read it, somehow I feel it'll get me too emotional right now, and I'm not sure I can handle that!
    Great review Eileen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good emotional! I'm here for you any time if you want to unburden the feelings :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and reading my posts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...