Thursday, March 19, 2015

Review: Allegiant (Divergent #3) by Veronica Roth


To celebrate the release of the Insurgent movie I decided to share my thoughts on book three, Allegiant since I read Insurgent before I started writing reviews. I'm pumped for the movie, are any of you going to see it?


Allegiant by Veronica RothAllegiant
(Divergent #3)
by Veronica Roth
October 22, 2013
526 pages


Goodreads Summary:
The faction-based society that Tris Prior once believed in is shattered--fractured by violence and power struggles and scarred by loss and betrayal. So when offered a chance to explore the world past the limits she’s known, Tris is ready. Perhaps beyond the fence, she and Tobias will find a simple new life together, free from complicated lies, tangled loyalties, and painful memories.

But Tris’s new reality is even more alarming than the one she left behind. Old discoveries are quickly rendered meaningless. Explosive new truths change the hearts of those she loves. And once again, Tris must battle to comprehend the complexities of human nature--and of herself--while facing impossible choices about courage, allegiance, sacrifice, and love.

Told from a riveting dual perspective, Allegiant, by #1 New York Times best-selling author Veronica Roth, brings the Divergent series to a powerful conclusion while revealing the secrets of the dystopian world that has captivated millions of readers in Divergent and Insurgent.
 

Review

I was basically speechless after I finished Allegiant. The last book to the epic trilogy. The first half of the book was a bit dull until it finally picked up a little before the half way point. I wasn't spoiled going into the book so I knew something big was going to happen but wow did I not see that coming.

When I started the book, I was super excited to find out what was outside the city. It was such a shocker at the end of Insurgent. Naturally, I was disappointed to find out it was all so.......ordinary. It was plain and predictable. I really hoped for more! In addition, the whole explanation about the world was at times, confusing. Then again, that's just my personal opinion. I'm sure there are lots of other readers who understood it better than I could.

What stood out to me the most from the story was how the characters just drop dead one after another. So quickly it was hard to process. Was it really necessary to kill off all these characters? I know that sacrifice is a big part of this book but those deaths (especially Tori and Uriah's) seemed so pointless to me. Ahh, my heart broke for them.

I was so stunned to realize Tris was gone. It was an extremely bold move for Veronica Roth to kill off her main character. She was definitely brave to do it. After that, I kind of feel like she wrote the book in dual POV just so there would still be a narrator after Tris's death.
Am I wrong?

Like everyone else, this is my least favourite book in the series. The ending made sense and I understood why things happened the way it did but I can't say I'm happy or satisfied with how it all wrapped up. I guess it's rare to find a truly happily ever after in dystopian books. I'm suppose to feel the crack in my heart? Or maybe I just haven't read enough dystopians yet?


3 Cats

10 comments:

  1. I am seeing Insurgent next week with my niece. I thought she was very brave as a writer with this book, but I can see why it's the least favorite for so many people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exciting! I'm planning to go see it soon too. I think Veronica Roth did a good job but it just wasn't what everyone wanted :S

      Delete
  2. I read book one and loved it but then never continued because someone leaked what happened in this one and I just didn't want to continue after that but I will be watching the movies when they come out!
    Sorry this was a disappointment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww that sucks. I was surprised I went on so long without getting spoiled though. The movie looks great :D

      Delete
  3. I really questioned this entire book. I kept wondering why things turned out the way they did. I wasn't really surprised by the ending but I wished that things turned out differently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was totally hoping it wouldn't turn out this way but I guess not :(

      Delete
  4. Teehee. I won't be reading this one, I think. I have a copy from back when it was published, but I just can't do it. I willfully sought out spoilers (though it wasn't hard to see them, willing or not), and um, well, no. I can't do it. Glad you somewhat liked this one, Eileen!

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree. I'm sure she wrote from both PoVs so the book didn't end abruptly with her death. The problem I had with it was that Tris and Four sounded exactly the same in their chapters and it was hard to tell the difference at times. Their voices were just too similar.

    I think the boom was the least good in the trilogy but I did still enjoy it. I have to respect her for taking that leap and ending with the death of the protagonist.

    Cayt @ Vicarious Caytastrophe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard a couple people say that but it wasn't as obvious to me. I'm glad to find someone who also enjoyed it!

      Oops spoiler alert on that last bit but I think by now everyone knows already :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and reading my posts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...