Friday, April 8, 2016

Review: The Rook (The Checquy Files #1) by Daniel O'Malley


The Rook by Daniel O'Malley
The Rook
(The Checquy Files #1)
by Daniel O'Malley
January 11, 2012
486 page
 
Goodreads Summary:
"The body you are wearing used to be mine." So begins the letter Myfanwy Thomas is holding when she awakes in a London park surrounded by bodies all wearing latex gloves. With no recollection of who she is, Myfanwy must follow the instructions her former self left behind to discover her identity and track down the agents who want to destroy her.

She soon learns that she is a Rook, a high-ranking member of a secret organization called the Checquy that battles the many supernatural forces at work in Britain. She also discovers that she possesses a rare, potentially deadly supernatural ability of her own.

In her quest to uncover which member of the Checquy betrayed her and why, Myfanwy encounters a person with four bodies, an aristocratic woman who can enter her dreams, a secret training facility where children are transformed into deadly fighters, and a conspiracy more vast than she ever could have imagined.

Filled with characters both fascinating and fantastical, The Rook is a richly inventive, suspenseful, and often wry thriller that marks an ambitious debut from a promising young writer.

 
 
Review

I keep asking myself- why did I not read this one sooner? Okay fine I have no one to blame but myself but seriously, I was missing out! (And so are you.) Before I say anything more let me thank my two amazing friends, Jess and Kim for gushing and telling me to read The Rook. Thank you guys for introducing me to another book I can obsess over (with you)! You both have the best taste!!

The Rook was so much fun. It's a pretty big book but it's filled with an amazing mix of political thrills and unexpected humour. I read and laughed and laughed some more. Honestly I wasn't expecting it to be so funny but on more than one occasion I was just shaking with laughter. I read the whole book on a plane ride and it was all I did. I didn't get up to use the washroom, I didn't stop for a drink and I sure as hell didn't stop when there was turbulence. LOL. So what can I say about The Rook? Just two words: READ IT!!! Okay, maybe a few more words because this book deserves it.

The story is told through alternating chapters in the present and letters explaining the past. They flowed together flawlessly as the past relates to the present in a way that will greatly expand your knowledge. Carefully we learn about each character and their unique abilities. Most were fascinating if not a bit creepy and completely lethal. Every member had a remarkable resume. I had a hard time wrapping my mind around how accomplished these people can be but they're also supernatural so it's no wonder they were recruited into The Checquy. This extraordinary organization. I was really blown away by its structure and reach. I loved learning its history and counterparts. The internal hierarchy and the problems stemming from that made for a most exciting action-packed guessing game!

Myfanwy Thomas is absolutely wonderful. In. Every. Way. Waking up with no memory she basically learned about herself at the same time the reader does. I was thoroughly impressed with her quick reflex, inner wit and constant bravery. Nothing stopped her. She's a superhuman but she still had the same human emotions as us. She experienced sad moments, scary times but nothing stopped her from moving forward. I need more Myfanwy. Her awesomeness has no bound.

Good thing Stiletto, the sequel, comes out in just a few months. Two months and six days but who's counting ;) That is the only good thing that came out of not reading The Rook sooner. Soooooo go READ IT!

5 CatsRipple star

7 comments:

  1. Politics and humour? I'm in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so good! I love the aspect of discovering a character as they rediscover themselves! My library coworker once suggested this one to me and I never got around to it---thanks for putting it back on my radar with your great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm so happy you're interested :D And thank you!

      Delete
  3. This one sounds like a book I'd enjoy for sure! Must go check it out ASAP!
    Thank you for putting this one on my radar, Eileen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait for you to read it Pili! Fingers crossed you'll love it :D

      Delete
  4. Oh I like this! I LIKE THIS ALOT! Thanks for the review!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and reading my posts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...