Friday, August 11, 2017

Review: Paris Lights (Heart of the City #1) by C.J. Duggan


Paris Lights by C.J. DugganParis Lights
(Heart of the City #1)
by C.J. Duggan
November 20, 2016
251 pages


Goodreads Summary:
'You're breaking up with me!'
He was silent.
'In Paris.'
Eyes dropping.
'Under the Eiffel-fucking-Tower!' I screamed.


Twenty-five-year-old Claire Shorten had looked forward to spending a romantic weekend in Paris for as long as she could remember, and now it was here - three blissful days of strolling through cobbled streets arm-in-arm with her beloved, eating copious amounts of baked goods and soaking up the culture through each and every pore of her body. Well, at least, that was how she'd pictured it . . .

Even after her boyfriend dumps her rather unceremoniously in the most romantic place on earth, Claire is determined not to give up on her dream altogether - with or without a boyfriend. She finds herself a job in the kitchen of a small hotel; Michelin-starred it most certainly is not, but somehow Claire makes a place for herself amidst the dirty dishes and the foreign misfits who run the place.

When the restaurant attracts the attention of the enigmatic - if not slightly terrifying - tycoon Louis Delarue, and Claire manages to survive his high-powered business luncheon from hell, she knows that she can survive anything, surely. But all bets are off when Louis makes a game-changing decision: he's coming back for a second course . . .



Review

I was really excited when I found out C.J. Duggan has new contemporary books coming out. She writes some of the best New Adult books I've read. I greedily devoured Paris Lights the second I got my hands on a copy.

Getting dumped under the Eiffel Tower was not what Claire had in mind when she got the chance to visit her dream city with her boyfriend. Yet, it may be the best thing to happen to her. When the friendly owner of the hotel she's staying at takes her in, Claire meets Louis. The ill-mannered but generous celebrity chef upends her world into a whirlwind but may quite possibly mend her broken heart.

It was interesting to read about a reality show- it felt as intense as actually watching one on tv. I wish the readers got to be more involved with the room renovations and the restaurant makeover, not just the before and after. I was a little impatient with some parts of the story because I felt like not much was going on. Despite the predictability, I was happy to witness the drama unfold. A little bit more would've made the story more engaging.

Ms. Duggan writes the most sizzling of sexual tensions. I enjoyed the chemistry between Claire and Louis. They were hot! It pains me a little though that I wasn't a firm believer in their romance. Seeing as the book is from Claire's POV, I could see why she fell for Louis but I couldn't say the same for vice versa. The development to their relationship felt so casual I never really felt they had a strong connection. Especially given how the story ended I didn't feel the importance they had to each other. But this could just be me.

Now that I've gotten to know the characters, I'm excited for the rest of the books! The stories will no doubt be fun and exciting with the bustling New York and stunning London as their backdrop~
 
4 Cats

2 comments:

  1. Sizzling sexual tensions... I need it haha. Though that's a shame re: the development of their relationship.

    Great review, thanks for sharing!
    Brittany @ Brittany's Book Rambles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha this author's really great at writing sexual tension scenes XP

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and reading my posts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...