Monday, November 29, 2021

Quick Thoughts: The Birds, the Bees, and You and Me by Olivia Hinebaugh


The Birds, the Bees, and You and Me by Olivia Hinebaugh
The Birds, the Bees, and You and Me
by Olivia Hinebaugh
January 22, 2019

Goodreads Summary:

Seventeen-year-old Lacey Burke is the last person on the planet who should be doling out sex advice. For starters, she’s never even kissed anyone, and she hates breaking the rules. Up until now, she's been a straight-A music geek that no one even notices. All she cares about is jamming out with her best friends, Theo and Evita.

But then everything changes.

When Lacey sees first-hand how much damage the abstinence-only sex-ed curriculum of her school can do, she decides to take a stand and starts doling out wisdom and contraception to anyone who seeks her out in the girls' restroom. But things with Theo become complicated quickly, and Lacey is soon not just keeping everyone else’s secrets, but hers as well.


Review

I picked out The Birds, the Bees and You and Me from my shelves on a whim and my impulse paid off. It's a sweet and empowering high school story full of heart and honesty.

What I Liked:
- big feminist and diverse themes
- Lacey was amazing!- standing up for her beliefs and in the process, helping others
- all the real (sex) talk, very informative
- there was more than just talk, there were actions
- supportive parents in the picture
- the pregnancy, birth, doula talks were SO relatable (I have a one year old!)
- strong friendships that weathered awkwardness and secrets
- a cute consenting romance
- everything Evita says and her unapologetic attitude

The Not So Much:
- I like a sensitive guy but Theo got misty-eyed a bit much
- not  complaining but I thought there would've been more drama with Lily Ann (seeing as how her insecurity came true)
- music lingo was a little complicated to follow

"But just because you're smart doesn't mean you make all the right choices." (p. 28).

*I was gifted an Advance Reading Copy of this book from a friend. All opinions are my own and not affected in any way. Any quotes included in my review were taken from the ARC I received.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and reading my posts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...