Thursday, September 11, 2014

Review: The DUFF by Kody Keplinger


The DUFF cover
The DUFF (Designated Ugly Fat Friend)
by Kody Keplinger
September 7, 2010
280 pages


Goodreads Summary:
Seventeen-year-old Bianca Piper is cynical and loyal, and she doesn’t think she’s the prettiest of her friends by a long shot. She’s also way too smart to fall for the charms of man-slut and slimy school hottie Wesley Rush. In fact, Bianca hates him. And when he nicknames her “the Duff,” she throws her Coke in his face.

But things aren’t so great at home right now, and Bianca is desperate for a distraction. She ends up kissing Wesley. Worse, she likes it. Eager for escape, Bianca throws herself into a closeted enemies-with-benefits relationship with him.
Until it all goes horribly awry. It turns out Wesley isn’t such a bad listener, and his life is pretty screwed up, too. Suddenly Bianca realizes with absolute horror that she’s falling for the guy she thought she hated more than anyone.


Review

This book was short and sweet so my review is going to be the same. I'm so surprised at how much I enjoyed this story!!! I went into it without any expectations or anything and I found myself rewarded for it. I like the message it conveys because I think a lot of people can relate to it.

Bianca can be a total b**** sometimes but to me that's just normal teenage behavior. She didn't bother me at all. I loved Wesley's playfulness and confidence. Even though Bianca acts very hostile towards him all the time, he doesn't let it bother him. Their back and forth bantering was way too cute! I loved every moment of it!

I'm relieved for Bianca that her dad immediately realized his mistake and went for help. Everybody slips but not everybody can own up to it. The fact that he was 100% up for getting better earned him my respect.

Overall, this is just an incredibly cute and meaningful story. Maybe more meaningful for teenagers than for adults but it's definitely a good read! So don't think too much and just dive in :)


5 Cats

14 comments:

  1. Yay! I loved this when I read it last year. I like the rawness to it and all the wonderful messages. So glad you enjoyed this as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed it too! I've heard a lot of mixed things so I was a little bit afraid of picking it up but it was so good!

      Delete
  2. I have this book sitting on my shelf sitting for years now, and I know it's going to be a great book, but I don't know why I never got around to reading it. I love when a book has a meaningful message, it somehow makes the book feel more important and makes me remember that book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This book was definitely memorable :) I hope you find time to read it!

      Delete
  3. I read this back in May and I actually enjoyed a whole lot more than I expected! I don't tend to read contemporaries but this is one of my favourites by far. The way Kody wrote and how she managed some of the issues in the novel was brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you loved it so much! It really is quite brilliant :)

      Delete
  4. It's been such a long time since I've read this book. I can barely recall anything that happened besides the fact that I've enjoyed it as well. I hope you'll check out Kiplinger's other works when you get the chance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I already have! And I've enjoyed them all as well! I'll be putting up my reviews for those later on. Hope you come back to check them out :)

      Delete
  5. I enjoyed this one -- Bianca is such a great character!
    Thanks so much for stopping by! Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this book so much. It's just one of the first feminist books that I read in YA and I absolutely loved it. Plus it's hugely hilarious. I'm so glad that you loved it too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely took me by surprise but I'm so glad so many people loved it too :)

      Delete
  7. I am SO behind the times on reading this, too. I adore Hannah Moscowitz and I know she's friends with Kody, thats kind of why i'm SO determined to read it now!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and reading my posts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...