Monday, February 25, 2019

Review: Wanderlost by Jen Malone


Wanderlost by Jen MaloneWanderlost
by Jen Malone
May 31, 2016
321 pages

Goodreads     Indigo

Goodreads Summary:
Not all those who wander are lost, but Aubree Sadler most definitely is on this novel’s whirlwind trip through Europe.

Aubree can’t think of a better place to be than in perfectly boring Ohio, and she’s ready for a relaxing summer. But when her older sister, Elizabeth, gets into real trouble, Aubree is talked into taking over Elizabeth’s summer job, leading a group of senior citizens on a bus tour through Europe.

Aubree doesn’t even make it to the first stop in Amsterdam before their perfect plan unravels, leaving her with no phone, no carefully prepared binder full of helpful facts, and an unexpected guest: the tour company owner’s son, Sam. Considering she’s pretending to be Elizabeth, she absolutely shouldn’t fall for him, but she can’t help it, especially with the most romantic European cities as the backdrop for their love story.

But her relationship with Sam is threatening to ruin her relationship with her sister, and she feels like she’s letting both of them down. Aubree knows this trip may show her who she really is—she just hopes she likes where she ends up.



Review
 
This book was the perfect getaway I envisioned it to be. After an especially emotional read I picked up Wanderlost to clear my head. It did the job perfectly.

Wanderlost gives what it promises: a trip of a lifetime with a side of self-reflection. The tour doesn't exactly start off smoothly but it does end on a realistic note. The story had its share of awkward moments and sweet times. I had the urge to hop on a plane and see the wonders and the sights myself. All the European cities the tour visited sound magnificent and so picturesque. I want to get lost in all that beauty!

I really liked Aubree. Her self-deprecating inner monologues were endearing. Despite being described as very dependent, Aubree was always responsible and thoughtful. She may have had some growing up to do but she took care of the elderlies and made mature decisions whenever necessary.

Sam was too good to be single! He's an athlete with a heart of gold. "Sometimes staying in one place is the biggest adventure of all." (ARC, p. 315). I loved his positive outlook on life and how open he was with Aubree. He made her see the possibility of something different. Sam's the sweetest and most understanding love interest a girl could ask for.

The supporting cast were a joy to get to know. The seniors provided the most entertaining (scandalicious) dialogues and of course some wise words. "And taking ownership over your mistakes is about as grown up as it gets." (ARC, p. 245). I didn't much care for Aubree's sister (she seemed selfish until the end) but her mom was priceless!

I had a really great time reading Wanderlost and didn't want the trip to end. Luckily for me I do have another Jen Malone adventure waiting on my shelves for me ;) I'm looking forward to what fun her sophomore novel, Changes in Latitude, will bring~
 
4 Cats
*I received an Advance Reading Copy of this book from a trade with a friend. All opinions are my own and not affected in any way. All quotes were taken from the ARC I received.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and reading my posts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...