Thursday, April 29, 2021

Quick Thoughts: Shadow and Bone (Shadow and Bone #1) by Leigh Bardugo


Shadow and Bone (Shadow and Bone #1) by Leigh Bardugo
Shadow and Bone
(Shadow and Bone #1)
by Leigh Bardugo
June 5, 2012
358 pages

Goodreads Summary:
Surrounded by enemies, the once-great nation of Ravka has been torn in two by the Shadow Fold, a swath of near impenetrable darkness crawling with monsters who feast on human flesh. Now its fate may rest on the shoulders of one lonely refugee.

Alina Starkov has never been good at anything. But when her regiment is attacked on the Fold and her best friend is brutally injured, Alina reveals a dormant power that saves his life—a power that could be the key to setting her war-ravaged country free. Wrenched from everything she knows, Alina is whisked away to the royal court to be trained as a member of the Grisha, the magical elite led by the mysterious Darkling.

Yet nothing in this lavish world is what it seems. With darkness looming and an entire kingdom depending on her untamed power, Alina will have to confront the secrets of the Grisha . . . and the secrets of her heart.


Review

Shadow and Bone is a series I always meant to read but since I picked up the books late, I'd been spoiled on a lot of the major twists. This led me to leaving the books unread on my shelf for the longest time. With the release of the Netflix show, my interest in the books was renewed. I finally took the plunge into the Grishaverse and wow, is it a pleasure to be introduced to this magical world!

What I Liked:
- the writing is easy to read
- the story is fast-paced and flowed very well
- an interesting world- especially the Shadow Fold, very unique concept
- the map!- love the visuals on the locations
- although a bit confusing at first, the magic system is neat
- Alina- she's a hard worker, isn't too blind to truths and made tough calls
- Mal and Alina's bond
- I can see why people feel conflicted over the Darkling- he has his appeals
- the secret to the Darklings

The Not So Much:
- it's a bit insta-lovey between Alina and the Darkling (what little bit there was)
- the sort of cliffhanger ending

"Fine, make me your villain." (p. 325)

4 Cats

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and reading my posts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...