Wednesday, May 31, 2023

Quick Thoughts: The Merciful Crow (The Merciful Crow #1) by Margaret Owen


The Merciful Crow (The Merciful Crow #1) by Margaret Owen
The Merciful Crow
(The Merciful Crow #1)
by Margaret Owen 
July 30, 2019

Goodreads Summary:
A future chieftain.

Fie abides by one rule: look after your own. Her Crow caste of undertakers and mercy-killers takes more abuse than coin, but when they’re called to collect royal dead, she’s hoping they’ll find the payout of a lifetime.

A fugitive prince.

When Crown Prince Jasimir turns out to have faked his death, Fie’s ready to cut her losses—and perhaps his throat. But he offers a wager that she can’t refuse: protect him from a ruthless queen, and he’ll protect the Crows when he reigns.

A too-cunning bodyguard.

Hawk warrior Tavin has always put Jas’s life before his, magically assuming the prince’s appearance and shadowing his every step. But what happens when Tavin begins to want something to call his own?


Review

I had the best timing picking up The Merciful Crow from my shelf when I needed an engaging read. Not only was the story super interesting, the characters were gritty and dynamic. Such an empowering book!

What I Liked
- a world that stood out
- special teeth magic!
- learning the Castes and their useful birthrights
- a harrowing journey that was full of mishaps and danger
- lots of intense fighting
- persistent and resilient characters
- the main character, Fie, is a badass- honest and sassy
- sharp, charming and protective Tavin
- Jasimir's slow change from clueless prince to morally-aware king-to-be
- a slow and steady enemies to lover romance
- low on heat but still spicy

The Not So Much:
- some background to the sinners plague would've been nice
- a few made up words caught me off guard at first

"She had mercy to deal; she had an oath to witness; she had her own to look after." (p.369)

4.5 Cats

2 comments:

  1. OOh nice! This one is in my TBR somewhere! I thought it sounded intriguing as well! Glad to see you enjoyed it! I have the sequel as well, an impulse purchase I made however long ago it released! Lol! Nice mini review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica! It has really unique bone magic. I hope you pick it up soon :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and reading my posts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...