Monday, November 27, 2023

Quick Thoughts: The Book of Ivy (The Book of Ivy #1) by Amy Engel


The Book of Ivy (The Book of Ivy #1) by Amy Engel
The Book of Ivy
(The Book of Ivy #1)
by Amy Engel
November 4, 2014

Goodreads Summary:
After a brutal nuclear war, the United States was left decimated. A small group of survivors eventually banded together, but only after more conflict over which family would govern the new nation. The Westfalls lost. Fifty years later, peace and control are maintained by marrying the daughters of the losing side to the sons of the winning group in a yearly ritual.

This year, it is my turn.

My name is Ivy Westfall, and my mission is simple: to kill the president’s son—my soon-to-be husband—and restore the Westfall family to power.

But Bishop Lattimer is either a very skilled actor or he’s not the cruel, heartless boy my family warned me to expect. He might even be the one person in this world who truly understands me. But there is no escape from my fate. I am the only one who can restore the Westfall legacy.

Because Bishop must die. And I must be the one to kill him…


Review

I can see why The Book of Ivy was such a hit when it was first released. There's a really good balance between the dystopian world and the romance-based plot. I kept rooting for the characters.

What I Liked:
- despite the unfairness, it's a captivating world
- a showcase of human nature
- a powerful and personal story
- the moral choices/dilemma
- Ivy standing up for herself and others
- Bishop and his patient kindness
- the quiet connection between Ivy and Bishop
- exploring the meaning of family

The Not So Much:
- Ivy's defiance felt very selfish at times
- Bishop is a great guy but he doesn't do much- no job?

"He allowed me the freedom to save myself, which is the very best type of rescue." (p. 247)

"I want to be someone strong and brave enough to make hard choices. But I want to be fair and loving enough to make the right ones." (p. 271)

4.5 Cats

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and reading my posts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...