Friday, July 20, 2018

Review: I'll Meet You There by Heather Demetrios


I'll Meet You There by Heather Demetrios
I'll Meet You There
by Heather Demetrios
February 3, 2015
388 pages

Goodreads     Indigo

Goodreads Summary:
If Skylar Evans were a typical Creek View girl, her future would involve a double-wide trailer, a baby on her hip, and the graveyard shift at Taco Bell. But after graduation, the only thing separating Skylar from art school is three months of summer…until Skylar’s mother loses her job, and Skylar realizes her dreams may be slipping out of reach.

Josh had a different escape route: the Marines. But after losing his leg in Afghanistan, he returns home, a shell of the cocksure boy he used to be.

What brings Skylar and Josh together is working at the Paradise—a quirky motel off California’s Highway 99. Despite their differences, their shared isolation turns into an unexpected friendship and, soon, something deeper.

Compelling and ultimately hopeful, this is a powerful examination of love, loss, and resilience.



Review

A story all about finding the strength to carry on after traumatic heartbreaking events. I'll Meet You There was a very emotional read where I think no words could truly do justice to such a story.

I have never experienced war (and will hopefully never have to in my lifetime) so I can't even begin to imagine what sort of horrors Josh went through. Without a doubt a physically and mentally straining experience. It has changed him from a womanizing boy into someone much deeper. In my opinion, he's a better and more caring person than he used to be.

Skylar has not had an easy life. Growing up she's had to fend for herself and look out for her mom more often than not. I loved that she doesn't simply give up when things were worse than bad. It's uplifting to see this young girl work through her problems. She's a fighter.

I didn't expect Skylar and Josh to know each other before the story started but I think this added an extra layer to their relationship to see them grow from ex-coworkers to more. The progression was subtle but the feelings were very present. Each interaction they had brought them closer together than before. Their romance is the very definition of slow burn and it was worth every minute of waiting.

My favourite part of I'll Meet You There were the side characters. Through everything Sky and Josh go through Marge (a mother-like figure to both), Chris and Dylan (Sky's best friends) were around. They shared plenty of wisdom and advices, never judging. Just their presence smoothed out a lot of tumultuous feelings and possible irrational actions.

Melancholic, beautiful, gut-wrenching and hopeful, I'll Meet You There is a book for everybody.
 
4 Cats

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and reading my posts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...