Monday, July 23, 2018

Review: World After (Penryn & the End of Days #2) by Susan Ee


*Review contains slight spoilers from the previous book in the series.
 
World After by Susan Ee
World After
(Penryn & the Ends of Days #2)
by Susan Ee
November 19, 2013
314 pages

Goodreads     Indigo

Goodreads Summary:
In this sequel to the bestselling fantasy thriller, Angelfall, the survivors of the angel apocalypse begin to scrape back together what's left of the modern world.

When a group of people capture Penryn's sister, Paige, thinking she's a monster, the situation ends in a massacre. Paige disappears. Humans are terrified. Mom is heartbroken.

Penryn drives through the streets of San Francisco looking for Paige. Why are the streets so empty? Where is everybody? Her search leads her into the heart of the angels' secret plans where she catches a glimpse of their motivations, and learns the horrifying extent to which the angels are willing to go.

Meanwhile, Raffe hunts for his wings. Without them, he can't rejoin the angels, can't take his rightful place as one of their leaders. When faced with recapturing his wings or helping Penryn survive, which will he choose?



Review

I read Angelfall ages ago and for some reason didn't pick up World After right away despite getting a copy only a few days later. I recall myself being all worked up over the cliffhanger ending too. It was torturous but I guess some deeper part of me was afraid to find out so I never continued the series. At least not until recently (because I'm a total mood reader and only felt like it now ha...).

Skimming through the first book for a refresher I have to say I really missed the world. It's such a mess but at the same time it felt so familiar. World After picks up right after the faceoff in Angelfall with the humans and angels working on regrouping. Lots of things happen and the short chapters really helped to move the story along.

World After brings us closer to the horrors first introduced in Angelfall. We know the angels have been experimenting on children and as if that wasn't awful enough we find an island of terrors. They made me shudder every time I think about them. So repulsive and frightening.

Penryn is a true heroine. With her steely resolve and grim determination to keep her family safe she's a force to be reckoned with. And she doesn't just stop at her own family; she tries to help and protect anyone within her reach. I admire her so much.

My one big complaint about World After is (surprise!) not enough scenes of Penryn and Raffe together. I understand the time apart was necessary to build up the dramatics to their eventual reunion but it just took so long. The sweet agony! Though I did love seeing Penryn connect to Raffe through his sword. I'm also head over heels in love and laughter over the moment Raffe recognized Penryn is alive. Yep, that's her.

World After has been such a ride! I'm definitely jumping into the final book, End of Days, without any hesitations. I know I'll be sad when my time with these characters comes to an end but I'm certain the trip will be well worth the heartache.

 
4 Cats

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and reading my posts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...