Sunday, April 19, 2015

Series Review: Flight, Focus & Found (The Crescent Chronicles) by Alyssa Rose Ivy


I pretty much binge-read The Crescent Chronicles last month. Might be the month before but anyways it was so good! Here are my reviews on each book in the series~

*Review for the first book is spoiler-free but the next two books may contain spoilers for the previous book.

Flight by Alyssa Rose Ivy
Flight
(The Crescent Chronicles #1)
by Alyssa Rose Ivy
August 16, 2012
268 pages


Goodreads Summary:
Sometimes you just have to take flight.

A summer in New Orleans is exactly what Allie needs before starting college. Accepting her dad’s invitation to work at his hotel offers an escape from her ex-boyfriend and the chance to spend the summer with her best friend. Meeting a guy is the last thing on her mind—until she sees Levi.

Unable to resist the infuriating yet alluring Levi, Allie finds herself at the center of a supernatural society and forced to decide between following the path she has always trusted or saving a city that might just save her.



Review

Earlier this year, I read Lure, the first book in Alyssa Rose Ivy's new paranormal series, The Lure Chronicles. After finishing it, I was confused about the characters and their relationships so I decided to fix that by reading its predecessor, The Crescent Chronicles. I really should've read this series sooner because it was fun and exactly the type of read I love!

The story was typical in that a girl meets a boy and they can't stop thinking about each other. But, none of it was boring. The supernatural element was original and new to me. The writing was smooth with hilarious dialogues~

I love how fierce Allie was and how she stood up for her. Her refusal to admit she was attracted to Levi was very amusing. The more she tried to resist, the more I needed to see the result. They shared some priceless banters that had me bursting with laughter. I loved the dinner scene with Allie's parents. It was so funny how much double meaning they had in their conversation.

I was shocked at what Levi did. It was pretty much unforgivable in my eyes. The outrage, humiliation and fear Allie felt in the event following Levi's deception was avoidable if only he'd been honest with her in the first place. I wouldn't be surprised if she never forgave him.

This book left me super eager to find out what's next for Allie and Levi. She's definitely in for something
bigger and I only hope she'll be able to handle it all (with or without Levi by her side).

4.5 Cats


Focus by Alyssa Rose Ivy
Focus
(The Crescent Chronicles #2)
by Alyssa Rose Ivy
January 28, 2013
256 pages


Goodreads Summary:
Freshman year of college is hard even when you're not tied to the future king of a supernatural society.

Allie dives into college head first with Hailey as her roommate and the city of New Orleans as her backyard. As things within The Society heat up, Allie realizes that whether she’s with Levi or not, she's in far too deep to turn back.



Review

I couldn't wait to get into Focus after that ending in Flight. Allie's fate was pretty much sealed by what Levi did but I was very interested to see how she will fight to stay herself.

Now that she's aware Levi's the future leader of the Pterons and she's his mate, Allie has an important role to fill in The Society and beside Levi. A lot of the book focused on her transitioning into The Society. Their traditions and etiquette were something she had to learn and get used to but her defiance at doing what she's told didn't lessen. She is so feisty, I love it!
 

I was highly anticipating how Levi would beg Allie for her forgiveness. It came a little quicker than I would have liked but I thoroughly enjoyed the way she tortured him lol. Showing off herself and not letting him touch her was totally the best punishment!

I love the friendship Allie and Hailey strikes up with Anne and Tiffany. They're the norm in their very abnormal life. Being able to do girl things and react naturally was a much needed respite for Allie. Good thing The Society didn't interfere with that. In fact, I'm surprised how lax The Society is about their own existence.

I could not stand Toby as I was reading this book. He was so pathetic I wanted to jump inside the book to slap him. He was way too cocky and seriously too full of himself. Then came that ending which cleared up his desperation. What a twist. Although it's safe to say I still don't like him.

I figured it was only a matter of time before someone gets threatened but I didn't expect Jessica to be the one to get kidnapped. It was a nice way to bring a piece of Allie's old life back in the picture though. A remainder that even though her status has changed, the people around her are still there. Now I need to find out how everything will go down in the finale.

4 Cats


Found by Alyssa Rose Ivy
Found
(The Crescent Chronicles #3)
by Alyssa Rose Ivy
July 16, 2013
234 pages


Goodreads Summary:
Levi might be hot, strong, and have a cool set of wings, but it's not enough to make up for keeping Allie in the dark.

Allie's tired of being left with more questions than answers. She's tired of loving a guy who refuses to level with her. Most of all, she's tired of her life spinning out of control.

Desperate to save Jess no matter the personal cost, Allie has to face the possibility that the only one she can trust is herself.



Review

What a sexy cover and I love those black wings. Finally the exciting conclusion! I delayed reading this last book because I didn't want to part with the gang. They made such a great team! But I needed to see how Allie and Levi would get their HEA (I know from reading Lure).

After finding out Jess has been kidnapped, Allie was basically told to sit tight while Levi got his people to investigate. I didn't like how he always seems to be telling Allie what to do :( Of course, we all know she's not the type to sit around and wait for results so she devises her own little rescue mission. Her plan was bold since it involved both Toby and Cade (the other two potential heirs to The Society) but it worked out... mostly.

It was hard for me to believe how Allie could attract three young and hot Pterons but then we learn she is an enchantress. Her ability sounded so crazy and specific but it made complete sense. Allie's illness also came quite suddenly but I suspected the cause as much. Since Levi took a shortcut in asking Allie to be his mate (basically he didn't give her a choice), it made sense their bonding wouldn't work properly. Yes Levi, that's what you get for being dishonest.

In the end everything worked out nicely. I have to say though, the ending felt a little too easy. Curing Allie by replicating the exact same scenario to when Levi gave her the ring and Toby's sudden change of heart were a breeze. Not a huge deal but I wish it was a little bit harder.

I found out on Goodreads, there's another spinoff series (not The Allure Chronicles) called The Empire Chronicles? I'm kind of nervous after reading the synopsis but Jared's in it! I've always found him interesting so I definitely want to get to it. One can never have enough of the Pterons ;)

4 Cats

4 comments:

  1. I love this series and all it's spin offs! So happy you have enjoyed them as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm slowly making my through them and I'm loving them too :D

      Delete
  2. Binge reading a series is always cool and when you love them all it's even better!
    Great reviews Eileen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yessss! I don't know how people could stand to wait (not this series but some of the other fantasy ones). The waiting would kill me and that's why I've held off on a couple to binge once the final book's out ;)

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and reading my posts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...