Friday, October 23, 2015

Review: Jesse's Girl (Hundred Oaks #6) by Miranda Kenneally


Jesse's Girl by Miranda KenneallyJesse's Girl
(Hundred Oaks #6)
by Miranda Kenneally
July 7, 2015
304 pages


Goodreads Summary:
Everyone at Hundred Oaks High knows that career mentoring day is a joke. So when Maya Henry said she wanted to be a rock star, she never imagined she’d get to shadow *the* Jesse Scott, Nashville’s teen idol.

But spending the day with Jesse is far from a dream come true. He’s as gorgeous as his music, but seeing all that he’s accomplished is just a reminder of everything Maya’s lost: her trust, her boyfriend, their band, and any chance to play the music she craves. Not to mention that Jesse’s pushy and opinionated. He made it on his own, and he thinks Maya’s playing back up to other people’s dreams. Does she have what it takes to follow her heart—and go solo?


 
Review

The Hundred Oaks series is one of my favourite contemporary series to date. Each book just gets more and more involved. I love that the characters from previous books still take on important roles in each new story. They are a bunch of extremely lovable characters.

Essentially Jesse's Girl is a story about Maya finding herself. After getting kicked out of the band she formed, she starts questioning her identity. She was feeling lost and insecure then she meets Jesse. A star who's more alone than anyone she knows. At least she always had the support of her family. I really love how Maya appreciates her family. They had a fun dynamic and never overstepped boundaries. "Family can't always help fix a difficult situation, and everybody makes mistakes. We shouldn't expect perfect. But we can hope that the people we love love us enough to try to make it right." (ebook, Loc 2636). Yay for positive thinking!

Jesse is kind of a snob when we first meet him. Though as the story went on, we see that he's prickly because of the way he grew up. His life's not as glamorous as the tabloids make it out to be. Having been in the spotlight all his life, he's naturally quick to put up a defense when things get personal. I wasn't a huge fan of Jesse's but I can see why he's a heartthrob. Fiercely loyal and stubborn, I'm glad he turned out well without certain people in his life. I can imagine it's hard so I cut him some slack.

One day can change someone's life completely. This couldn't have rang truer for Maya and Jesse. They treaded carefully around each other after their one day but it was amazing to see how much they affected each other afterwards.  A big conflict popped up towards the end which I saw coming but I was very interested to see how it would get dealt with. It was predictable but I was touched when both of them were willing to take a step back. Because they cared for each other, it was like a gut reaction with no hesitations.

I adore how selfless the characters were and I was delighted with how the story wrapped up. I hope this series never ends! XD All you contemporary lovers, The Hundred Oaks series is a must-read!

4 Cats

2 comments:

  1. I really love this series as well, so glad you liked this so much! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very excited for more books in the series :D

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and reading my posts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...